View Single Post
Old 02-03-2000, 01:36 PM

Default Re: When the elephants fight! RIAA vs.mp3.com

Oohhh. So it IS that bad. I try not to spend too much time on this darned thing, so I only surf in the shallow end. Except for this damn user conference. How did I get by without it??

I liked the Furher analogy- hilarious. And yeah, I'd be fierce if my song popped up on a commercial and I didn't know/get compensated for it. But geeeez, I thought that's why we had a legal system. You'd win, if you knew about it - mechanical copyright laws.

But the Internet is a whole nuther ball o' wax. Plus, in your home country, the Franhofer Institute- the main developers of MP codecs, are ready for AAC (Advanced Audio Coding). Sample frequencies up to 96kHz and can do multichannel- up to 48 tracks! depending on the capacity of the network. Good or bad thing? Both I guess. MPEG4 is being developed as well.

On the security side, the Secure Digital Music Initiative (SDMI), is a think-tank that will determine the next big "standard" and will then implement some type of watermarking scheme (it may end up just being MP3s) for copy protection. Right now they're just kind of watching things develop. As soon as the hackers bust that up, they hope by then they'll have a whole slew of simultaneous encoding protection schemes being used - to keep the bandits on their toes.

BTW, This all came from Recording, Dec `99.