View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Creating a good kick drum sound (punchy)

Just a couple of things I would like to add to what has already been said:-

I agree with the mid E.Q. & for metal I will somtimes plunge out from 250 - 500.

Tuning of the kick is uber important, if you haven’t already got one invest in a (Drumdial or Tama Tension watch) tympanic pressure tuner, this will help with all your drums not just the kick…

Loose all the laundry, get rid of all the blankets/pillows/foam/bubblewrap & all the other rubbish that drummer that can’t be bothered to tune there kick properly throw in there… After its tuned well if it still rings too much through the mic & after you put a starting point e.q. on your channel put on an Aquarian Super kick II or Evans EMAD, if they are not available, make one of these:-

http://www.professionaldrummer.com/l...mDampening.asp

I am very squirrelly about using more than one mic directly on a kick drum, some very talented & experienced people use 2 or more mics to great effect… but usually these folks are searching for something very specific, maybe a few fine frequencies for shimmer or some other personal holy grail that they have been searching for 30 years. But chances are every one of these people could get a amazing kick sound with the one mic & there is a strong possibility 99.9% of what you hear in that final mix is just that one mic properly positioned… And more importantly these people all know and understand how to deal with the very in depth & complicated phasing issues that can come from using 2 or more mic’s on the kick & come up & bite you on the ass much later on in your mix… We already have a lot of mic’s on the rest of the drum kit, that pick the kick drum up & add all sorts of issues of there own, lets not make things worse at this stage…

An APHEX 204 Aural Exciter & Optical Big Bottom can work wonders on a kick drum sound and can give you masses of low end & attack if needed …(the lucky HD folks can get this as a plugin I use the plugin at work & the rack unit at home & the plugin is very good…)

Hope some of this helps

Cheers

N