View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Will Pro Tools 10 work with mac OS Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Hi Chris,

You probably recall responding in a previous thread where I am trying to convert some old sessions with SDII audio files to newer format to work on in PT 12.8.3.
I was asking, among other things, what was the best version of PT 10 to use.

At this point it has become obvious that there is a little more to it than I was anticipating. I have a couple of questions that you could probably answer if you have a moment.

[Anyone else who knows this stuff please feel free to chime in].

A couple of methods have been suggested to me in the other thread.

1. Partition the drive on my 2017 MacBook Pro [currently running High Sierra and PT 12.8.3], and install OS Lion, Mountain Lion, or the like, along with PT 10 on one partition. Use PT 10 to do the conversion, then open the converted sessions in PT 12.8.3

2. Simply install PT 10 right alongside PT 12.8.3, on the High Sierra Drive, and it will work well enough to do the session / audio conversions. I am told that the uninstaller will not work, and that I will have to manually delete all the PT 10 stuff.

It look like you have experience along these lines, so questions to you [or anyone else who wants to chime in if they know about this stuff] are:

1. Which of the two options above sounds like it will actually work?
2. Is there a guide for manually uninstalling PT 10, and what happens if you just leave PT 10 installed along with PT 12.8.3?
3. I am told that booting a computer from an external disk that contains an earlier OS than what was initially installed on the computer can cause chaos. Wouldn't partitioning my MacBook Pro [which came with Sierra installed] and installing OS Lion, or Mountain Lion, lead to the same problem when booting from that partition?
4. Would PT 7.3 do the same job of converting the sessions as PT 10?

Thanks very much for any help with this,

MD
Hi,

1. A seperate drive or partition and install 10 (or 7.3 would probably do it. if its just the audio files you want then consolidate each track as single audio files starting from the top beat 1 bar 1 etc and export the audio files as wav.) depending on the original session 7.3 might not be a good option if you want to convert the session and keep the mix settings etc.
2. uninstalling its relatively simple but as mentioned above use a seperate drive or partition.
3. installing or cloning to an external drive works fine. i do it occasionally. it will be a bit slower depending on the drive and whether its USB 2 3 etc. but would work fine for converting a session.
4. yes 7.3 will be able to export audio as SD2 and might well work converting the entire session but its a long way back to 7.3 and a lots changed and the mix might not convert well.

External drive, Lion, PT10 and convert your session. keep PT10 for any future jobs that might need similar.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.