View Single Post
Old 05-30-2001, 07:05 PM

Default Re: external mixer routing

Yea you really need direct outs. Take a look at the Mackie 1402VLZ pro it has 6 direct outputs perfect for the 6 inputs on the back of the Digibox. I posted this for another user the other day.
I have the Mackie 1402 VLZPRO.
First I would like to say to use Balanced cables as much as possible, but this will not hurt anything if you use unbalanced cables. Keep an ear open for excessive hum or noise would be a side effect in some instances of not using balanced cables.
Heres how to hook up your mackie
1. TO monitor digi through the mackie. Connect a 1/4 cable from the Digibox main outs to mackie tape in(1/4 to rca adapters needed)or any input on the mackie will do I use the tape in to free up all other inputs.
2. To use the Mackie preamps to record into the digibox.
connect 1/4 cables from the channel inserts on the mackie to the line channel inputs on the back of the digibox. Only insert the 1/4 cable to the first click on the mackie ch insert(prefader,preEq). Only the trim and lowcut are active on the mackie. use the trim to adjust the levels. Now the faders on the mackie are used for monitor level only not actual output levels.
Hook up your studio monitors to the Control room outs on the mackie.
hook up your mic or instrument and away you go.
Get a headphone signal splitter (Radio shack $5) so you and the musician can monitor from the mackie board.
The mackie preamps are warmer than the DIGI001. Both are good and quiet.
Now by using the mackie you have no latency issues. You can record at the high buffer setting which you will have to do when you get closer to 24 tracks and alot of plugs.
No big quality differences fom 128 to 1024 that i know of. Some people say 256 is optimum and some say 1024 is.just leave it at 1024 samples and 85%cpu usage this way your computer will work better.

TTRIP