View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 04:48 PM

Default Re: Swing The Grid Lines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar486 View Post
You could draw 16 midi notes, quantize them to the swing value you want, then enlarge that track and move it just above/below the track you want to examine. It's definitely a workaround, but might get you what you need for this project. I'm pretty sure you can't swing the built in gridlines. This would be a great feature though, I hope Avid is listening!
It can be done. I figured it out this morning. Here is how you do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha]-[acksaw View Post
For me, the whole idea is based around a "perfect grid" in a single tempo, with a consistent swing value on all the 16th notes. Basically just like the normal grid in ProTools, but with swing feel instead of straight ahead feel. The idea is to use it as a visual reference while editing. So, I created a midi track and filled in every 1/4, 1/8th and 1/16th note for the length of my song. I hit Alt 0 to open Event Operations. Set it to Quantize, 16th notes, and changed the swing value to 60%, then hit Apply. So now all the midi notes are pegged on grid, expect the 16th notes that are pegged to the swing value of my song. Now I highlight my whole midi track (the length of my song), and open Bar/Beat Marker Generation. I set the Operation to Midi for Bar/Beat Marker Generation. I make sure the Capture part says 16th notes, and then hit Capture Selection. Next, move right and hit Analyze, then drag the sensitivity till it grabs all the midi notes. Hit Generate, an your done. It will move all the 16th note grid lines to your swing value. Now you have a visual reference when editing a song with a swing.
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs