View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 10:49 AM

Default Re: 96K vs. 48K vs. 44.1K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Some plug-ins sound better at 96k.
Recording at higher sample rates has its benefits.

Lower latency for one while recording.
AS mentioned, what you hear is going to be about as good as your converters.
That being said, a good mic, pre and signal path is going to make a difference in what you hear at high sample rates.

If you expect to get the same kind of results at 96k, with a 200 mic and an MBox mic pre over a Nuemann or AKG with a 1073 or Tube pre, it just isn't going to happen.

The room makes a difference too.

Finally, your monitoring including your room. Speakers make a difference in what you are going to hear in a well setup room.
While I'm sure there are great sets of speakers that cost 500 bucks, but play them against JBL 6328's, or Atoms, Dynaudios and you'll notice a difference.

The monitor section, your output to your speakers changes the game too. Compare a Central Station to the Crane Song Avocet or Dangerous monitor system and the difference is DRASTIC.

Again it is the difference between a 500 dollar "pro-sumer" gear and pro gear which is why they are almost 3k or more.

I would say unless you really have those elements, don't waste the resources and time with higher sample rates. Or record for lower latency and sample convert to 48 or 44.1 for mixing.

Just my 2 cents. Agree, disagree. I don't really care. I know what I have heard.
This has been a hot button topic for more than a decade.

LEX

And what Bob said.
EFI flashed 580 GPU
3 card PCI-e expansion chassis.
Avid Artist Control
Apollo 8 Quad, Satellite Quad, Octo Card
Cranesong Avocet Monitor System.
WireWorld ProAudio Cables