View Single Post
Old 01-31-2023, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Avid Core Audio with HDX/HD Native on Yosemite/later Mac OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman6 View Post
Not sure if anyone from AVID even reads this forum anymore, but if they do, I'd love to revive this thread and get an answer to why we still can't simultaneously use macOS Core Audio (System Audio) through an HDX card while Pro Tools is also open? Is it because of the DSP usage?

What is strange is that if I use Ableton or Logic I am able to use my HDX card as the output / audio interface and can also simultaneously run system audio through the HDX card.

As soon as you open Pro Tools though, the AVID HDX soundcard is no longer seen by the computer. It's such a disappointment and seems like something AVID could easily address in the software if other DAWS are capable of doing this; can someone from AVID help me understand why this happens?

I don't think coreaudio offers any functionality for DSP integration directly into DAW software. As a result, HDX uses a totally different driver to do it which is why it disappears from system sounds when Pro Tools is launched. As far as I am aware, this is the way all DAWs with integrated DSP work (Pro Tools HDX, UA Luna, Blackmagic Resolve CC-2, etc).

The flip side of this conversation is that no coreaudio based audio interface with DSP will integrate into a DAW in the same way HDX does. They all use coreaudio drivers for the DAW application, but rely on an additional application like RME Totalmix or Metric Halo MIO to access DSP-based monitoring.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.