View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 08:31 AM

Default D-Command to D-Control

Hey everyone,

Wanted to get your thoughts on doing an upgrade from a 24 fader D-command to a 16 fader D-Control.I've noticed that D-Control prices have been dropping pretty quickly recently. I've been on the D-command for about 3 years and have really loved the experience with it. I mostly mix music and the quick access to the automation features is such a huge part of my work flow now that I really miss using pro tools with out it. Also, having VCA spill and eq and dynamics control makes for so much less mouse/screen time. It has been a way more pleasant pro tools experience

It seems like the extra encoders on channel strips and the expanded eq and dynamics section would be a great improvement in flexibility. To me that would be the biggest benefit. I mostly only use plugins that map well to the eq and dynamics sections (Avid, Sonnox, PluginAlliance) but it would be nice to have more encoders to create custom maps for specific plugs.

So all that being said is it worth it? Are there any other D-command users having similar thoughts? or D-Control users that don't think it's worth the upgrade? Anyone want to talk me out of it?

There also the question of how much longer Avid will continue to support the ICON line. I currently go back and forth between a PT10 system and PT12 system and at some point will probably just sit on wherever they end support.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jared