View Single Post
Old 08-08-2009, 10:10 PM

Default Re: Have a Quad Core (Asus P5K). Use Only One Core Active For Best Results? MIDI Issu

Quote:
Originally Posted by epu View Post
Mykhal C - Kontakt 3.5 is an AWESOME and POWERFUL program. The layout is pretty much the same, and infinitely better than K2. Likewise, 3.5 is more stable, able to take advantage of Multicore Processors and able to address the larger memory available on 64 Bit systems. It's honestly a no brainer. The ONLY downside to Kontakt is that unlike many modern hardware synthesizers, you can't catalog sounds by type (Saw, Lead, etc).

You CAN put sounds in folders, but its not the same. Something like KORE SOFTWARE EDITION (also by NI) may be in line for that task.

I HATE using NI apps (or any VIs) w/Pro-Tools! Because of the many bugs in PT software, or conflicts between them and VIs, there are CONSTANT crashes, hangups, etc. I have ONLY been experiencing this on my current P5K rig, and NEVER had any problems on my single core laptops (Lenovo in particular).

It's to the point where I want to get a second laptop w/an AUDIO CARD (as just mentioned) and just RUN MY VIs OFF OF THAT AS IF IT WERE A SEPARATE SOUND MODULE. 3.5 can run up to 64 instruments in STANDALONE, and that may be my ticket.
epu, thanks for that man. definitely seems like the upgrade is well worth it.

back to your thing...i really think you are dealin' with a bios setting(s) thing. if your cpu or ram are set to 'AUTO' then that is where 'some' of the problems are. the other thing is ram timings. and there are a couple of other settings to concentrate on too. if the rig has always been kinda iffy then i'd say the setup needs to be looked at, no doubt. if you have just started to have troubles then maybe you have a component(s) that are beginnin' to fail. i've got the same mobo and it's been strong since day one. if you wanna set up a time to discuss then hit me up with an email thru the DUC and i'll be glad to share my settings/setup with ya. but you got a strong rig that should not be givin' you the kinda problems you are havin'...unless somethin' is failin'

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff