View Single Post
Old 10-16-2018, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Multiple Instnaces of VIs vs. multiple MIDI tracks targeting a single instance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The DAW manages multcore processing for plugins.

Omnisphere (as a multitambral instrument) will run in more limited threads than if you had more than one instance of Omnisphere. That's because the DAW has no idea what you are doing so dependencies are serial -- ie if you trigger notes on 3 MIDI tracks going to the same Omnisphere, and if you were using the Omnisphere mixer/sends/aux (which the DAW has no clue on if you are or aren't), it needs to output those together at the same time. So they can't be processed completely independently.

Technically incorrect to say Omnisphere will run in one thread (because the plugin could be multi-threaded) but it is limited when only running one instance vs many. However, Omnisphere is not that intensive.
Thanks for the response. I'm still unclear on the bottom line. If you personally had 8 sounds in Omnisphere doing different parts, would you create eight separate instrument tracks, each with an instance of Omnisphere with one sound, or one instrument track with one instance of Omnisphere and 8 MIDI tracks sending to it?

I do appreciate the (in my view) better organization of having 8 instrument tracks... it's easier when mixing, I just thought each separate instance of a VI automatically starts eating away at resources, even if it's doing nothing.