View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 10:06 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools is unable to communicate with HUI.

You were right !! Firmware version 2.1.2 for the Mackie Control Surfaces is absolutely necessary for use with PT LE 7.4. After spending a good while with Mackie's Tech Support on getting the right squencer (Media Player on my laptop) to run the midi file Mackie supplies on their website at http://www.mackie.com/products/mcu/mcu_upgrade.html I was able to upgrade the Main MCU to v2.1.2 but there was a problem with the Control extenders not going into "Boot Loader" Mode. So Mackie is sending me 2 replacement units. I have test the upgrade MCU with PT LE 7.4 and it works fine now. So to all those who have this issue here are the steps I took.

1st Put MCU in Boot Loader Mode by:

- Turn off MCU
- Hold down channel 1 & 2 Rec/Ready buttons
- Hold down channel 1 Select button
- Turn on MCU

Get the midi file for the v2.1.2 firmware upgrade from the mackie site above under discontinued products

Next you have to run this file with all MTC/Sync etc turned off. So even though I run PT LE on a G5 I have a PC Laptop with a MOTU Fastlane MIDI interface which was easier to run the update on. Here's what I did:

- Goto Control Panel
- Double click "Sounds & Audio Devices"
- Select the Audio Tab
- Look at the bottom of the tab at MIDI Music playback select your MIDI - Interface/port (This drives Media player's playback)
- Select Apply/OK
- Connect your MIDI interface out to the MCU IN
- Run the Mackie MIDI file with Media Player
- You should see dots scrolling across your MCU's screen.
- Let the MIDI file playback (DO NOT STOP IT)
- Once the file completes the MCU should reboot itself.
- Once it does select the HUI mode and you're off to the races.
- Open PT & Goto Setup/Peripherals//MIDI Controllers & select HUI mode & the port the MCU is connected to.

Wow.....It's finally working...just have to wait for replacement units.

Thanks for you ideas!