View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 06:29 AM

Default Re: ProTools price adjustments from July 1st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
Please read again, i don't think you got it, dear co-poster!

Jfreak said that Avid wants to convert perpetual licenses to subscriptions.
To move from perpetual license to subscription license you will surrender the perpetual license to acquire the subscription one which is a rental option, meaning it works as long as you continue to pay. If you want to stop paying the sub, ProTools will stop working too, because it is not PERPETUAL any more!
Hope it is clear by now!

Cheers!
Avidís announcement says that the whole technology industry is shifting to a new business model based on subscription, and tries to promote this as something positive for the end user.

But as you rightly say, if you convert your perpetual license for a subscription license as its attractive pricing, you are actually giving up your perpetual license, and are signing to carry on paying for as ling as you want to use the software.

This may or may not be attractive to some people, it certainly isnít to me.

And, of course, once youíve given up your perpetual license for the attractively priced subscription license, and given that you have no control over future subscription pricing, you are entering into a system that will be much more costly in the long term.
Pro Tools 2018, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)