View Single Post
Old 09-20-2011, 12:15 AM

Default Re: PCIe cards not being recognized in my MAC PRO ProTools not launching with cards

I try to do this:

Strip out computer, all pro tools cards and extra hard drives etc. Make it just with one system drive and nothing else.

Install fresh system drive or format your system drive. Install fresh mac os from DVD. Create an admin user.

Shut down the computer and boot as FireWire target mode. Use another computer to create a disk image of your system drive 'MySystem Fresh.dmg'.

Format your system drive again and restore this dmg back, this will test that the dmg is all good.

Boot your system again and create a new user. Log in as this user and tweak your system as necessary, run software update etc.

Shut down your computer and install your pro tools cards. Boot your machine and install pro tools. Run digitest to make sure all ok.

Do the FireWire target mode things again and create and restore another dmg 'MySystem PT Fresh.dmg'.

Now shut down the computer and add any extra hard drives you have or anything else etc.

Boot the computer and install any plugins you need or extra things.

Repeat the dmg thing again 'MySystem PT Plugins.dmg'.

If you have any problems along this route then you are doing something wrong or you have a hardware failure.

Now whenever you have any problems in the future you can just restore a dmg back at any one if these three states. It only takes me about 10-15 mins to do this instead of 1-6 hours depending on how many plugins and extra crap each needs installing and authorising.

I personally think this should be done before every major session.