View Single Post
Old 02-16-2015, 09:52 AM

Default Re: Please Avid We All Really Want You to Be Successful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
After spending just a little time with Presonus Studio One 2, I must say I'm impressed. A few things to get used to but it's opened my eyes to features just not available in Pro Tools. Whether you plan to stick with Pro Tools or not, you owe it to yourself to check it out. For those shaking your head and saying: "No way am I learning a whole other DAW" - I felt the same way. But once you see, hear and feel the responsiveness combined with the solidness, I'm pretty sure you'll do a double-take. It'll take me a while to get comfortable using S1. But the good news is, it'll co-exist perfectly fine and the cost of entry is where it should be. I'd really like to see someone do a DAW performance shootout on Avid hardware. Consider the idea that HD Native runs and performs better on the same system using Core Audio and third party software than in PT itself. Just sayin'! To get back to the orig. topic, yes, Avid we all really want you to be successful. Bring us Pro Tools 12 when you've included features your competitors have been including for years now. If you need help, just ask your customers, they've been telling you all along what they want.

One more request for Kenny Gioia if you happen to read this - check out Studio One 2. I know you love Reaper. But really - check it out. I'd love to see tutorials or hear your overall impressions.

Also, Russ Hughes of Pro Tools Expert dot com. Can't wait for http://www.studio-one.expert but in the meantime, do a DAW review/comparison on PT Expert. I'm sure everyone would enjoy that!
My only real problem with Studio One is one I've seen mentioned quite a bit on the Presonus forum...the lack of a dedicated control surface.

If they had a dedicated control surface I would probably be jumping to them instead of Cubase, although I'm also not fond of their blocking "outside" plugins in all but the top version of Studio One.

Just as I understand what Avid is doing, I also understand what Presonus is doing...they are a Southern company, and they are focusing on the praise/worship music, which is huge in the South and growing everywhere else.

But praise/worship is more a "live" market than a "recording" market, so a dedicated control surface is not as much a "must" as it is in other markets.

I haven't visited the Presonus forum in six months or so, but last I heard Studio One didn't do a very of handling MCU, so a third-party control surface isn't even an option.

The third-party VST and control surface situations may have improved since I last looked at Presonus, but I haven't seen it mentioned in the newsletters I receive from them.

As a native Southerner I like to support companies that are trying to improve the economic situation in the region, but I can't afford to support companies that don't provide what I need...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh