View Single Post
Old 08-04-2018, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Replacement Ideas for Dead 002 on PT8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
If used Mbox 3's are selling at $300 and 003r is selling for less, I'd say you answered your own question While the Mbox 3 has enough IO to fit your needs, its a USB interface so it will have slightly higher latency as compared to a firewire interface. Mbox PRO(which uses firewire) would work fine if you get a great deal(using Mbox 2 Pro on a second system here and its fine). Having used most of the Mbox variants, as well as 002 and 003, I lean toward the 003 for its extra IO(and it mounts in a rack easily). Being stuck at LE8, these are your only options and since you already have firewire, I'd stick with that. 003r should be plug and play. any Mbox may call for a new driver or a re-install of Pro Tools(because LE installs the driver as part of the software install).
Thanks, really I was wondering why an Mbox 3 Pro would command more of a price tag than a Digi 003. They seem to offer about the same I/O and FireWire, but I imagine the 003 has more, better quality hardware and more flexibility with other hardware, no? The Mbox is probably a little more convenient for me since I don’t need a full rack or the Digi pre’s, so I wish I knew why it commanded a higher price tag.