View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 02:13 PM

Default Re: 9.0.5 "Running out of CPU Power"

let us know if 10 resolves this? Seems liek it is acomon issue so maybe we deserve a fix for it without the cost to upgrade to 10 ?
Everytime I 'upgrade with no reason ' like I did from 9.01 that worked fine to 9.05 I am puzzled why di I upgrade? if it aint broke....do not look for reasong to waste time...
I have same issue and I know it is a false reading, but it is a big inconvininece to work arround it...
I actually selected lower samples than 1024 and got the system to work BUT everytime I stop the play engine it requires me to go into playback preferences and change the selecting.Once I change selection of playback engine say to 128 ...it works one time.
Anyone else with this issue?
will it be simpler jsut to downgrade to 9.01?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimak415 View Post
I dunno guys:
I would start first with what the error is referring to: The CPU power. I would think that a quad core (8 core with hyper-threading) 4.0 Ghz i7 processor can handle these projects just fine. I know it can, because prior to 9.0.5, it did. Even with projects running close to 80%, I would not get that message.

They must have changed something about how ProTools utilizes processing power (I'm pretty sure they did because they limited the CPU usage to 90% from 99%). That said, it has not improved our systems at all, it has hurt them tremendously. In order for PT to think we are running out of processing power, there must a spike in CPU usage that triggers the message. Either these spikes did not occur prior to 9.0.5 or they didn't trigger the message because they were momentary and could be resolved in the buffer.

Now I could be completely off base here. But judging by the fact that everything worked great in 9.0.1 (other than common 9.0.1 bugs) and 9.0.5 suddenly causes these issues, I would start there. Lets try to trouble shoot this down.

All of that said, I received a free upgrade to 10 today! Lets see if that fixes it :) I'll still have 9 (I think) so I'll continue to try to resolve it.