View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 looks great!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Yes well that's due to the actual room mics being combined with the spot mic into the sample. Cause when you mic a violin, tuba or any other instruments of the kind, with the exception of piano, drums, stereo guitar pedals, harp. You usually use only one mic on it, then place room mics to get the room ambiance and stereo imagine for ensembles. Which you already know of course. By it self the instrument is not stereo which is what I'm saying. Now wither or not you have control on the room mics, that depends on the libraries. But if you are only using one instrument sample you can do what I said and save on the resources.

I'm not 100% sure since I wasn't there at the recording of the samples. But most of the time, unless they are doing ensembles, it's one instruments placed in the studio with multiple mics, without actually placing the instruments in the position they would be when they are playing as a whole orchestra.
When I was using the Gigastudio version of VSL Cube I did convert some of the instruments to mono, but I do think that it was at the sacrifice of some of the sonority. I'm no longer prepared to do that, just so that I can mix in Pro Tools. For me it's one compromise too many. Workarounds are OK, providing that they don't take too much extra time, but when the actual product starts to suffer, that's where I draw the line.

My current project is relatively small, so track count won't be a problem, but the one after that will have to mixed in another program, because Pro Tools really isn't up to the task.

Mind you, who knows what PT 10 will bring, so by the time that I'm ready to mix, things may have changed. Who knows? Avid does, that's for sure.

D
Windows 7 (x64)Pro
RME Multiface II
Intensity
ATI HD5400 series graphics card