View Single Post
Old 08-05-2018, 02:31 PM

Default Re: When Money -And Noise - Are Of No Consequence...

On Friday my new machine arrived.
I wanted to leave Hackintosh for genuine Apple again, but decided not to in the last second. I went for an i7 8700K (6-Core). And I am stunned.

I overclocked it to 5GHz on the first boot, fired up PT and I am in awe. Over the past decade or so (I'm not sure when it started) PT always gave me lags when editing. Hitting t or r for zooming for example never felt right. Same for nudging, fading, cutting clips, etc. There was always a delay between keytroke and the action actually being performed. I went through countless OS cycles and several computers (Macbooks, MacMinis, CG and trash can MacPros and Hackintoshes) and while overall performance always increased when getting a more powerful machine (i.e. processing power) the UI lag always was a factor. It always bugged me, I never got used to it.

Lo and behold - the new machine. I have no idea why. Is it the 5GHz clock speed (never had a CPU clocked that high)? I don't know. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.6 and PT HDN 2018.7. On that new Hackintosh I restored the latest Time Machine backup from my MacPro 5,1 the machine I was using up until Friday. So I picked right up where I left off, no clean install of anything. AND THOSE LAGS ARE GONE. For the first time since - I don't now, PT5 or something, editing on that sucker feels like butter. Like clockwork. As it should.

So why am I posting this here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
but the thing is, it's not needed for us and never will be.
We sure do not need a 28-Core CPU for PT. But maybe, just maybe, higher clock speeds are where the money is for us audio guys. I for one could hug the world at the moment. It's bliss, pure bliss. <3

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock