View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Allenstein machine questions...

I've been researching a new system for my home studio. I like the looks of the Allenstein machine as per his post on this forum. I printed out the specs of this system and took it to a local PC builder who has been in business locally for quite some time, and he passionately tried to talk me out of the AMD Athlon setup. He said, "these processors are not well made, they run hot, and are prone to failure." He continued, "why not put up a little more money and get a much more stable P4 chip."

He was very adamant about his position and felt that perhaps someone at the Digidesign forum has some interest in pushing AMD for some reason or another.

Are people out there really pleased with their "Allenstein" setups? If so, please share!

I'm still looking at purchasing the following unless I can be convinced otherwise:

X-Alien 420 Watt Aluminum Silver Side-Window Panel ATX
Intel P4 - 2.8
Asus P4P800 Deluxe i865PE
1 GB (matched 512MB) PC3200 DDR400 SDRAM
2 Maxtor 80 GB 7200 RPM ATA133 drives (one for OS, one for audio data)
Lite-ON CD-RW 54x34x54x
Sony DVD+RW 4x
SoundBlaster Audigy X Gamer w/1394 port (I know.... not necessary, but it comes with it)
256 MB GeForce FX5200 AGP 8x DVI/TV
Windows XP Pro
generic modem
generic keyboard/mouse
19" Viewsonic CRT Monitor .25 dot pitch (2048x1536 pfs)

Any reason not to go with the above for a ProTools system with the M-Box and a USB MIDI interface????????

Thanks folks!

stereocp

PS> I posted this system last week,and allen responded by not even mentioning the above system, but simply said to refer to the "allenstein" machine specs. I'm open to his ideas, but would really like some feedback on the above mentioned system. Cheers!!!