View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 05:07 PM

Default Re: Sold my MBox 2... what next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dougfather View Post
Agreed, i went for an Olympus in the end but that was for foley work, great piece of kit.

On another note, a few of the guys on GS have had good results with the Roland R-44 for field recording.

Yeah, I looked at both of those.

The Olympus was really nice for what it was designed for, but the connectivity just rendered it impractical for me.

The Roland R-44 was what I was originally looking at (unless it was a slightly earlier model of the 4 track version, I can't quite remember as it was a few years back) and I think it would be really handy as a 4 channel field recorder (as either a poor mans Aaton Cantar / Zaxcom Deva type device, or for situations where they would be overkill) but in the end, for my purposes it made no sense, as I might just as well take the laptop along as I would be running off mains power anyway.

So that's when I started looking at the Edirol R09HR.

I did also look into the Korg MR1000 & the MR1, both of which were tempting, but the MR1 had the connectability issues and was a little fiddley, and the MR1000 was overkill - not least in terms of price for what I wanted.

The other thing was that as great as DSD is on paper, it's just not practical at that point in the stream, and I can't really see Pro Tools ever going that way, or needing to.

Anyway, there are plenty of options out there for the O.P.

Good luck!