View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 06:59 AM

Default Re: Password Encryption on Mac External HDD

Hi,

all my internal work drives (and video drives) and especially transport drives are encrypted for the reason you mentioned: Possible theft from my Studio, or while on the road or to protect myself from my own mistakes (leaving my bag on the train etc.).

I didn't find any difference in performance. I've been doing this for years now running huge film mix sessions from them. This works fine with the OSX encryption format and I've even used TrueCrypt on special projects which also worked totally fine.

Don't trust these cheap "pin pad" type drives or USB-sticks. Most of them got hacked in the past.
Also remember to use strong passwords to avoid easy brute-force attacks. The protection is only as good as your PW and don't use the same PW for all of them.

Don't store them in your Keychain on your mac unless your workstation has FileVault on and you have auto-login disabled otherwise a thief who stole your whole mac will have access to all your external drives and the onboard ones as well and possibly everything else in your keychain.

Instead a good password-manager is your friend (not only for your ProTools work, btw)

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 02-09-2017 at 07:11 AM.