View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 04:26 AM

Default Re: MTRX Studio and DVS Monitoring

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertszydlo View Post
Hi Jan,
Thank you very much indeed for the info. Penta is definitely a beautiful piece of advanced tech and definitely the way to go on the long run! Looks like a perfect way to expand the Mtrx Studio, I am so glad you brought it to my attention! I will probably get it as soon as my budget allows. Until then I need a „temporary solution” that will keep studio running- I can hook the bricasti to mtrx in analog for now, but the problem is with my stereo mastering converters- they use AES to connect. So... will probably have to get the AVIO thingy but you got me REALLY scared with the src. Let me ask a basic question here... say I run a mastering session in 96k in PT ( Mtrx getting 96 clock via digilink) and connect AVIO AES to the second rj45 at the back of mtrx studio unit and hook the stereo Da and DA converters there and clock them as slaves to MTRX ( wordclock?). Will it mean any additional src going on? Or anything that would compromise the quality?
If not I could perform this until I get the Penta unit. Thank you in advance for your time !
Thanks for your kind words about the Penta 721s.

First of all, the Avio adapters, and many of the similar devices with 2 or 4 channels, are powered by PoE (Power over Ethernet) and do not have a separate power supply. PoE basically means that the device receives power through the network connector. The second network port on the MTRX Studio does not provide PoE so it can not power an Avio adapter (or other similar type of adapter). In order for this to work, you must therefore have a network switch which can provide PoE, and install this between the MTRX Studio and the Avio adapter.

Regarding your question about SRC, that is a bit difficult to answer as there are different ways of implementing SRC. In theory it could be OK to do as you suggest, but it is not something I can guarantee. I suggest you contact the Audinate support team and ask them the question. In any case, this solution will not solve the issue with 192 kHz sample rate.

I have also looked at other 2 ch. Dante to AES adapters and have not found any that does not use SRC. Some devices only have SRC on the incoming AES so the outgoing AES is locked to the Dante sample rate, while others have it on both input and output. And it generally seems that you can not disable the SRC on any of them. I am not sure how helpful this is to you, but that's what I know.