View Single Post
Old 01-17-2020, 01:01 PM

Default Re: APFS or Extended Journaled for session drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
You don't.

APFS is written for flash storage (SSD's) and behave differently than spinning magnetic disks. SSD will take care of keeping the directory healthy, because of over-provisioning systems. You don't have that with spinners, which is why we have learnt to have some kind of DiskWarrior available. You also never defragment SSD storage.

And because APFS is written from ground up with SSD in mind, it might not be the best idea to use it with spinners. Because spinners need a DiskWarrior every now and then and APFS does not support those mechanisms.
Well, you might think I still use spinners, I don't unless for cheap backup purposes.
The fairytale never having to "defragment SSD storage" is not true.

Anyway, I use Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD's, all sizes between 256 GB to 2 TB.

The fairytale about APFS being the ultimate solution for SSD is something I will not buy. Since using APFS I had more trouble than in 30 years of using Macs, which is why I went back to HFS+.

Since having tested APFS extensively on all of my Macs startup is slower, period -and I do not startup from an NVMe as I know the speed they offer does not help for starting up. I investigated all this to death.

I am using HFS+ still and all is fine. Odd, right?