View Single Post
Old 12-23-2019, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Do not buy the new mac pro yet

I just want to say one other thing.. at just 44K, and 64 buffer, one instance of the heavy avenger pianos causes pops and clicks even in LOGIC on both my macs.. It used the entire core. At 128 buffer it's ok but that's it.. one instance per core..
One of the macs is hitting 4.2ghz when it happens (the iMac pro), but the MacBook pro is between 4.8 and 4.9ghz.. way higher than any mac pro speed we have seen thus far. This means there are literally some VI's that won't fit onto a single core of the mac pro, and almost all VI's don't do their own multithreading (with a few exceptions). It's a serious problem particularly for an exorbitantly priced computer.
Once the Vi has been recorded and it goes on the pro tools playback buffer of 1024 samples, there shouldn't be an issue but playing some of them LIVE, will be an issue sadly.

the mac pro I would personally love is a consumer chip version with reasonably priced video cards that are good for gaming also.. you know.. a direct mac equivalent of the home pc desktop.

they could do the new Intel 10xx series.. the 8, 10, 12 and 14 core. Up to 128gb ram. Up to ATI 5700XT.

Done. Buy tomorrow (as long as they are able to hit their rated clock speeds).