View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Do not buy the new mac pro yet

I have worked out why your clock speeds were higher in cinebench. CB uses zero of the GPU, as in literally zero, so it's just pure cpu load.

When you are using a DAW, the GPU is indeed used so the power limit that has been placed on the machines for some reason, is being hit at a lower clock speed than if just the cpu was being used. This totally explains the difference and now tells me more than ever there's a TDP/maximum power limit issue in play.

It should be fixable via an EFI update..

Pro tools should give you similar clocks to logic on a fully loaded project, and pro tools uses the GPU more heavily than Logic.. if in Pro tools you get much better cpu clocks, then my theory is incorrect, since PT uses the GPU more than Logic.

Right now, it's awful to say what i said and I feel so bad for you, but you haven't got a computer that is performing at the speeds the cpu is capable of. Below base clock in Logic is unacceptable.. as I said we KNOW it's not a temperature issue as your temps are super low at all times.

Only you can decide if you care enough about this to report it to Apple or speak to a "genius". Just show them the clocks you get in a heavy DAW project and that it's below base clock let alone near all core turbo speed that it should be at. If you don't care and others don't then it' just something that will stay being the way it is. Personally I planned to save for the 16 core as I was certain it would be the DAW sweet spot for BOTH core count AND clock speed, but I won't put myself into such hoc for this sort of clock speed performance. But I don't own one and apple are much more likely to listen to you than me..

Just asking them, "is this expected", is in no way rude or confrontational and a fair question. Believe it or not I really do care about someone else spending thousands and thousands of dollars and not getting their money's worth.. That's my absolute only motivation for being so vigilant about this here and Gearslutz although we know how the latter turned out. It doesn't really affect me in the long run as if worse comes to worse, as a PT user I have options. You are much cooler and calm about this then i would be.. then again, i'd have to take a massive loan to buy the 16 core here the way I would want it (17,000 AUD with 96GB ram and one vega GFX card).