View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Mbox3 Pro: +4 Line Input Unity Gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You really should be gain staging this with your ears.

But to understand stuff... you have everything you need to answer all these questions in front of you.

Signal Gen in Pro Tools. Sine wave output. Confirm the analog level output with an multimeter. Then probe the line (and outboard mic) inputs with that signal. You can mark gain marks on the knob if you want to.

(and are other folks engaging the -10dB pad? And why?)

Hello. Thanks for responding, although I can do without the "mansplaining".

There's a -20 pad that can be engaged by pulling the gain knob out. I've never seen this messed with, but the line input switch in the back of the unit is sometimes set to -10 unbalanced line level. Why is this being done? I have no idea. I just make sure I'm at +4 before I get signal going.

This isn't the kind of gig where I have time to calibrate everything before a session with a voltmeter. I just need to know what unity gain is as far as setting the knob in front.

I assume that if it's all the way down counter-clockwise, no gain is being added and this is pretty much unity gain (as close to bypassed as you can get). I've used the outboard preamp they have there hundreds of times so the MBox is the only thing I'm not used to. As far as what I see in Pro Tools the levels look "normal" when the knob is set this way. Also I'm having no issues with noise or headroom.

If you read into this a little more, it's might be fairly obvious that I would prefer the information come from Avid than from me as far as my employer goes. Make sense?

Last edited by Roivas; 10-18-2018 at 12:25 PM.