View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Download of HD Ultimate Drivers prevents Mac Pro from rebooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1 View Post
Hi All:
My hardware setup consists of a Mac Pro (Westmere) with a HD Native PCIE board installed and a SSD hard drive, an HD Omni and HD 16 channel IN/OUT. The software is Pro Tools 10 and Mac OS 10.8.6. So I wanted to upgrade both software programs. Leaving the HD 10 software in place (should I have uninstalled it first ?), I upgraded the OS to Mojave and then downloaded the latest version of HD ultimate. The HD Ultimate software appears to have failed to recognize the PCIE Native card, the Omni and the HD I/O as the OMNI and I/O do not appear in the Hardware tab so I downloaded the HD Drivers for HD Ultimate intending to upgrade the firmware in my HD hardware. After restarting for the HD Drivers to load, the Mac Pro never gets past the start up screen. I have a back up hard drive attached so I can return to any version. Any Help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks. Steve.
Lots wrong here.

Yes starting with you need to do your own compatibility checking before you start hacking on stuff, if lost ask here before plowing ahead.

And where things are not compatible you need to look at dual-booting. Good advice there already.

But even if things are compatible and you want to upgrade, you should not have done an in-situ upgrade of OS X. Avid recommends against it, lots of folks here keep warning against it. Sure it might work, but it might not. Who knows what mess you have on that system or how mangled stuff is. It is better to tackle major OS upgrades as new installs. Done on a spare disk or partition and reinstalling and test stuff works there before putting your boot on the throat of the current install and shooting it in the head.

But yes!!! you have a recovery plan, that is great. So you can get back your old system, and start on a new partition/disk install for your new OS. And new means new, no cloning and then trying to in-situ upgrade that, no using Apple's migration assassin (assistant) to move apps or drivers over, do full clean installs of all software and drivers.

What exact model/version Mac Pro is this? There are lots of capabilities on the old Cheesegraters, If it was mine and I wanted to be on a more up to date platform, I'd be getting this up to 5.1 ROMS if not there already, installing Mojave and 2019.12. Not sure what SSD you have but I'd be looking a PCIe/NVMe SSD options it's only SATA (especially only SATA II). You might want to look at or ask about those as part of any upgrade (and you might not).

Things like "latest version", "Westmere", and "SSD" are not-helpful. Telling us exact make, model, disk connection type etc. info etc. is a lot more helpful if you are trying to get actually useful advice.