View Single Post
Old 12-30-2016, 03:31 AM

Default Re: No Pro Tools 13 for me unfortunately.

Pro Tools HD is for those can afford it and always was. It had features which made it desirable despite the cost.

These days I can do things I never imagined would have been possible directly on my native system at a fraction of the cost of my old TDM rig. All the plugins are AAX, no DSP required and have never been so affordable.

If you are a large studio, mixing films, soundtracks and such then I can see the appeal of HD. Certainly the budget is there. However, for the average music production there isn't the need or budget.

For those who have invested heavily in the Avid hardware then they are caught between a rock and a hard place. Either stick at the current version or stomach the yearly expense. The other option is to cut one's losses, sell the lot and invest in a fresh new native system and associated hardware.

On the "vanilla" side of Pro Tools we've never had it so good. I miss the days of upgrading when one chose to rather than having one's arm twisted every year. However, I'm happy to stomach the annual Avid contribution at the moment.

Stephen

https://www.waves.com/r/djgsi6