View Single Post
Old 06-13-2020, 07:18 AM

Default Re: Kontakt 6 on ProTools - Orchestral Composition

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
VEPro can solve a whole lot of problems/issues. They have a fully functioning no dongle needed 30 trial. And you don't need a second machine either. And if you run VEPro decoupled that will help to stop PT from being slowed down.
Yeah, I'm going to go that route. I've played with this stuff enough for years to smell an intractable problem a mile away. I went through this process with other VI's years ago, and went through a lot of effort to tune my machines. I've changed platforms and gone to SSD, and just haven't had this kind of issue for a few years. But now that I'm doing something slightly more demanding, I can see it's still an issue.

Quote:
When you say PT executable you're talking about how much memory PT takes up right?
Yes, as shown in the Mac Activity Monitor.

Quote:
As far as spreading out the vi load, whether in Kontakt 6 or EW Play engine I use one instance for one instrument. Because I don't like using keyswitches for articulation change I'll load up the articulations needed in that instance. Say I need staccato & legato trumpets - they'd go on one instance of whatever vi sampler I'm using. IOW - all articulations for trumpets would go in the one vi. Violins in another vi instance, etc. I don't mix say trumpets and bassoons in one vi instance. Doing things that way also gets me away from having to create multiple output channels in one vi. Although that's not all that difficult in Kontakt and super easy in EW Play.
I used EW Play for pianos for a long time. It was the first engine I really struggled with. Eventually it got stable, but it's kind of a memory hog compared to Imperfect Samples on Kontakt. I supposed it could be tuned more, but I only used Play for pianos, and I have a few others that I like a little better now. It still sounds really good, after all these years.

I'm only just getting started with the orchestral work now. I've done OK with small sections of strings or horns in pop/rock mixes, and haven't run into performance issues until I started trying to use a few dozen instruments.

I've tried a few approaches with splitting out the number of Kontakt instances, but the results seem to be pretty much the same, whether it's one, three, or three dozen instances. It seems like it's the total memory used by ProTools that is the issue, and nothing inside Kontakt itself. Kontakt works great as standalone or as a VST inside Reaper or Bluecat.

I haven't really tried to optimize my memory usage yet. I'm still loading the default keyswitched instruments into Multis. I suppose I could go the route of building a template with a lot of instances, and leaving them disabled and then enable and freeze them as needed. That might work. Seems like a bit of a buzzkill, though. But maybe it will force me to be more organized.

I'm just a little stunned, though, that we went through all this effort to go to 64-bit, and the benefit was nowhere near as good as was predicted. Is a 16GB executable really too big for ProTools? I see Michael Carnes using much larger templates before he gets hit with system limitations. So why am I getting an issue at this level? I still have 25% of my RAM free. I get that VE Pro can be a solution, but what is it solving? Total executible size? I'm getting hammered at a measly 16GB.

I'm paid up on another 5 years of PT support. It's pretty annoying that, yet again, I'm paying for another wrapper to make it work.