View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Default Re: MOTU 24i/o 24-bit/96 kHz pciE converter

ahhh,.. okay thats what i figured.. i thought i was reading it wrong...

i see what you mean.. yeh i only ran TDM back in 2002 while i was in
school and we actually tracked to ADAT .. all was done
on a big arse console, patch bay n' outboard effects... the whole nine yards..

TDM was something we transferred into via 888s if i'm not mistaken... so i did a couple
mixes on that system.. but we didnt do any tracking on it per se..

over the following years i had opportunity to work with a couple different projects but we ran via firewire, latency was always a pain in the arse... of course the macs used
in these projects were not the monsters we have today, or even the past 2-3 years so yes my experience is a bit outdated obviously..

no worries on the derail Wombat, thats the purpose of these threads.. to compile as much usefull info in one thread so we can all keep learning and moving right along..

i am dealing with a pretty good sized learning curve myself this time around... but the system i'm working with now is custom built, and built to last, at least i've got that going for me...

all i know is i've been around long enough to know the more you take off the cpu's load the better off you are.. i'm def. not shy in the plug-in department when it comes to tracking
so i'm just trying to make sure everything is nicely balanced.. as i mentioned before.. HD/NATIVE is ground zero for me...

logic's freeze track option sounds pretty damn sweet... though i'm not about to fork over a couple hundred bucks for that function alone... lol... so yeah i get your point..

either way, from what i'm reading.. latency and plug ins will not be much of an issue with these new systems so i'm gonna keep on keepin' on until something gives..

I can understand Tom's love of HDX running the MOTU 24 1/0 though.. best of both worlds really... with a proper time piece keeping the old Unicorn ticking along smoothly i can see it being a great experience.. lets hope the gods are with me n' i'll be able to boast the same capabilities before long..

though i think i'll wait till PT11 comes out for that little upgrade... hehhe.. hD/native should hold its value locally so i'm not worried on that regard... whos to say the deals may be game changers next year... knock on wood...