View Single Post
Old 06-15-2017, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Recording Multiple MIDI Outputs Simultaneously

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam79 View Post
Thanks for actually looking at the manual. I took a look at it quickly and it was a bit confusing to me. When u say you record the MIDI, so u can change a drum after the recording, do you create a midi track and route the entire kit to it, or does the instrument track that has the actual MDrummer plugin inserted save as MIDI? Either way, you enable record on that Instrument track, right?
You really need to sit down and actually read the manual for the s/w you are using. This is good practice for everyone especially for those that don't quite know what they're dealing with. Even after years working with this stuff one can get thrown a curve ball so having the manual at hand really helps.

I always use Instrument tracks in PT. That's what holds the MIDI driving the vi and you don't have to sweat the MIDI routing - it's all taken care of. If you go old school and use separate track for the MIDI and an aux track to host the vi then you have to create your own routing for the MIDI to go to the vi.

Where things can get hairy with vi's and MIDI is if the vi is multi-timbral and say it has 16 slots for instruments. You could drive all 16 slots from one MIDI channel but that would be total chaos sounding. The better way is to have the vi on an Instrument track which has one MIDI channel routed automatically to the vi. Then you'd create 15 more MIDI tracks and route each one separately to the vi hosted in the aforementioned Instrument track. But this is something you need not worry about with any drum vi. One Instrument track and done until you render to audio.

QAPLA!