View Single Post
Old 09-27-2019, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Anyone using large orchestra templates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodydetective View Post
In a single instance of Kontakt, I load a bank, then set conditions for each patch to be selected, in much the same way as UACC works - if CC32 is seen and its value is 5, then the slot with the legato patch or whatever is selected. No midi channel used.

Well - it is fiddly, but the return would have been worth the effort had it completely worked - right now it's only partially functional. I also use Composer Tools Pro, a Lemur template on iPad that allows me to utterly customize a control surface with named articulation switches, custom faders and button and x/y controllers and so on. In ProTools you can set it up so that when you select a track, Composer Tools Pro recalls a preset that relates to that track. So that's awesome. Also fiddly, but being able to reach over and press a labelled button for spiccatissimo (that works for every section in Berlin Strings) is really great. Also, as you say, if it stops being compatible I have to find another app that will likely only do some of that. But it's really cool to me right now. Helping me to get through huge cues more quickly.

That's how it is now. I think I'm just overwhelming Capsule. Kontakt can handle only so many requests at once.

I could, if banks worked - though of course I will have to reprogram my Composer Tools Pro setup. But are program changes auto-chasing like controllers are?

Spitfire works perfectly with this setup already.

I believe this is true - but my system isn't struggling at the moment. The benefit of a single Kontakt instance is that it's a single MIDI target. Having all articulations available on one track in PT is really great - I strongly dislike huge templates. I'm wondering now if I couldn't put a simple script in every single-patch instance of Kontakt that doesn't pass note data unless a certain CC is at a certain value. I'd want it to pass controllers regardless. Maybe a little time with KSP is in order.
Sounds like I’m preaching to the choir here and you know exactly what you’re doing!

I must check out Composer Tools Pro.

I also hate having countless articulations spread across countless tracks but have always used keyswitches, partly because I always have and everything is set so whatever the library, the same keyswitches select the same articulation and has done for 20 years. This took a LOT of work but it does mean EVERY articulation of an instrument is addressed by a single instrument track in Pro Tools.

It’s a shame the Spitfire’s UACC protocol hasn’t been widely adopted. For that matter it’s about time PT had articulation management like Cubase and Logic do. Not holding my breath for that though.

I don’t know if PT chases program changes to be honest because in my scenario it doesn’t need to. In case you didn’t know, each slot of an Instrument Bank can be recalled with a program change and I’m guessing that’s what Mind Control is spitting out to switch Instrument Bank slots. It doesn’t matter whether PT chases PCs or not because you’re actually sending it keyswitches (or controllers if you prefer) that are mapped to PCs by the script. I’ve never had any conflicts with the scripting of any instruments loaded into slots in an Instrument Bank providing there are no conflicting keyswitches or controllers in use in an instrument that are also used to trigger the Multi Script. This is academic if you’re sticking with Mind Control but I’m just wondering out loud if the Kontakt factory script would play nicer with the likes of Capsule scripting than Mind Control.