View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 10:28 AM

Default Re: 1st time pt 10 user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 201spotlite View Post
ok thank im looking into the maximium amount of ram it can handle and does virtual ram help any and on the tutorial i watched on youtube they were saying dont save to hardrive in pc save to external does this help in processing any?? i have plenty of extrnal space and i have a usb stick with 32 gigs just in case
What is "it" the laptop, Windows or Pro Tools?

What is "Virtual RAM"?

just stick a matched pair of the largest SODIMMs you can in this laptop (whatever the laptop hardware can take) and be done. DRAM is cheap.

Pro Tools is limited to around 4GB itself, that will increase in the next major release. There is no timeline cache feature in standard Pro Tools (what you *might* be referring to). that is only in Pro tools HD and with the CPTK option.

Go google pro tools systems requirements. You need a dedicated audio-spec drive for audio/session files. that needs to be 7200 rpm or faster or an SSD drive.

Before asking any more questions here read the " Help us help you--read this before posting" link on this web page and include a Sandra report for you laptop. A USB flash stick is unlikely to be suitable for audio/session drive. Yes they can work but most if them are just not designed to work as well as a real SSD drive.

Darryl