View Single Post
Old 09-06-2001, 11:58 AM

Default Re: What kind of IDE HDdo i need to Digi001 ????

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by lukemaniak:
Hi folks !!!
...Im still looking for the Maxtor or IBM HD (very hard to find this models in Brazil..all they have are Quantums and segates...too bad), but in the meantime, I recieved a very good offer (cheaper) on a Ultra wide scsi HD from Compaq.
It's a 18,2Gb 7200RPM Wide ULTRA 2 SCSI in SBB model Alpha/Compaq DS-RZ1EA-VW.
Is that ok for Digi001/BW G3/ and Adaptec 2940 ????
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Thx in advance for any coment.
;-)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just as long as you do a complete format. I'd do a "Zero all data" (if you're using Apples Drive Utilities, don't know what it'd be called using "X" hard drive utility)

That drive has either a NFS, or FAT_whatever format on it, as the Alpha chips only will run WinNT4.0, and 64bit OS's like Unix, BSD, Linux, etc....

Do that, and since you already know SCSI, you know pretty much what you're doing.

I have battled the whole IDE/ATA drive issue for sometime, but I bought a old world 9500 used and I've put 2+ yrs of hard hitting use on both of the Quantams that came installed with it. I will say that if I get a newer G4 (whenever it may be), I'd definetly get one with SCSI installed, as I'd rather stick to the h/ware I know.