View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 03:35 PM

Default Re: pro control db25 cables for monitor section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Music Belgium View Post
This could be done as described, but then you are just using the built-in microphone and the talkback button. So when pressing the talkback button to talk:

- the mic signal will not auto-mix with the audio, you need to do that in Pro Tools
- the output level of your monitors will not auto-dim when talking and listening to the replies from the artist while you are using talkback, so you probably will get a nasty microphone feedback between your monitors and the built-in talkback mic (the built-in mic is some type of very sensitive phantom powered condensor mic)

To get a talkback function that works as it is supposed to do you do need to use more or less the entire ProControl monitor section.

But there is a way around the problematic volume pot in a ProControl and that is by simply not to using it at all.

Just set the volume pot at a fixed position and trim the outputs of your Pro Tools interface that you only use for for L+R monitoring until L+R have identical output levels. Then you can use the talkback button with auto-dim, use the mono, dim and mute buttons and even the source switching buttons and speaker select buttons if you would like to use them. But do no use the volume pot to control the volume, just use the dim button for a fixed 15 dB lower monitor level.
Thanks! I think I am going to use all the features and just not use the volume pot to control volume like you have recommended.

But now back to my original question, am I going to notice a real difference in sound quality of cables by using mogami gold db25 cables over other brands (hosa, planet waves, digidesign, etc) of non gold cables? Are the mogami db25 gold cables really worth the cost because it is a lot more than other brands.

What brand of cables would you recommend I use?