View Single Post
Old 01-05-2022, 06:35 AM

Default Re: NVMe upgrade for Mac Pro 4.1/5.1 Mojave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornedrum View Post
Hi everyone.

Super interesting thread, thanks for a great read!
I am getting back to ProTools after a 3/4 year hiatus....

I am running Sierra on a MP 5.1 6 core 3.33Ghz, PT 12.5.2, mostly Waves11 plus the odd Plugin Alliance plug etc.
I installed the Lycom DT-120 and system profiler says the blade installed is an Apple SSD SM0256G (which from memory was a Samsung 951 perhaps?)
All running smoothly for a couple of years as a boot drive, so probably no need to change that.

So now I am looking to upgrade my old spinners with SSDs.
The consensus seems to be NVMe, is that an option with Sierra though?
They don't need to be bootable, but I'd probably like one drive for samples and another for PT sessions.

I have no PT upgrade plan but fairly happy with PT 12.5.2 on Sierra.

Might you have any thoughts/recs please?

EDIT: Oh, and one further question, is the heat/throttling still an issue with some people?
I only have the GPU and the Lycom card in the PCIe slots, so shouldn't be too crowded in there. A tiny bit worried that the Lycm has no heatsink, but the blade is never hot to touch.

Thanks in advance! :)
I had the same machine a Mid 2010 3.33 Ghz 6 core Westmere and was running PTHD Native PCIe card

So If I remember correctly
And the same Lycom blade and a Samsung 951 PCIe (my boot drive)

I also installed a new Metal Capable Graphics card which did have a noisy fan

And then I installed a single dual Crest blade adaptor with two Samsung EVO NVMe 1 TB SSD drives on it which were my PT session storage Drive and My FCPX Projects storage dive
It worked great ..
I ran that until I switched to my current iMac and Avid Carbon interface last Dec.

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...