View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 02:28 PM

Default Re: NVMe upgrade for Mac Pro 4.1/5.1 Mojave

Hi everyone

I’ve been following this thread as part of the my upgrade research.

I recently did an upgrade from PT10 HD3 to PT 2019.6 Ultimate HD Native PCIe. I started with a new (old) computer that was upgraded. It’s a 2010 Mac Pro with 12 3.46 cores, and 48 Gigs of RAM. I’ve got it running Mojave.

I’m pretty amazed at the increase in power, and for the most part it’s all working. However, all of this talk about increaseing the speed of the system drive has me curious.

Currently my system drive is a Samsung SSD in one of the SATA bays. I’m considering going the NVME route with a PCIe card. I’m wondering if It’s worth the expense, fan noise and potential for failure to go with the crest card. Or if I just go with the simple cheap PCIe card? I know this will still be much faster than what I have now.

Given Ghostwriter’s experience with the crest card that has me a little nervous. Also, how loud is the fan in the crest card? I have anther system in my studio with an HDX card in it and that fan is annoyingly loud. So if the fan in the crest card is anything like that I don’t think it would be worth the increase in speed for me.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jared