View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Stupid Question... How is the power of 1 HDX Card compared to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
We are told that there is no processing power on the HDN card. Having said that, my last machine got a pretty significant performance boost when I moved from my old 003(maxed out to the full 18 IO) to a Native card and HD IO boxes. What's best is down to your particular needs. For me, I work on my own HDN rig(on Windows) and on a friend's HDX rig(new trashcan Mac Pro with a Sonnet chassis). My needs: track 5-6 piece bands(32 live inputs and 16 outputs) without having players complain about latency. HDN covers my needs very nicely(I choose tracking plugins carefully to avoid latency, but run dozens of EQ's and compressors, 5-6 reverbs, a few delays and a couple of VI's. Max plugin latency while tracking is 11 samples and I track at a 64 buffer setting.

Oddly enough, many plugins that report zero latency on my rig, report some(up to a lot) of latency on the HDX rig

Had to pull up manual, this is what I had recalled.......From manual. "Additionally, the on-board FPGA provides processing power for mixer con- figurations and low latency monitoring with Pro Tools."

No DSP for plugins.

Albee is spot on. What you get for interfacing is driven by your I/O needs, (or at least that is how I approached when jumping from Native to HDX).

You can buy a 12 Core processor, however what interface you chose for your I/O will have a audio driver with some degree of Latency (RTL, Round Trip Latency).

All that being said... all good questions.... hopefully this is helping.

edited from mac.

Last edited by jjnssn; 09-02-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: easier to type on keyboard vs. phone.