Thread: Boom !!!
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2014, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Boom !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_TC_TC View Post
BOOM has so many Wonderful Sounds !!!

The Channel Strip & Kick from another VI sound like Excellent ideas.

I'd like to start keeping them Midi instead of converting them to Wave in order to save CPU power. Any suggestions on that ???
Well, you can always save he MIDI track for any drum loop you create for use in another project. But if you mean save the drum part with the VI on an instrument track, you might not be saving CPU power. You still have to have a VI open on an instrument track to play a MIDI track assigned to it, or MIDI notes directly on the instrument track. Converting to audio cuts all that out. Also, I find it easier to edit the part in audio if I quickly want to add a fill or remove a beat or something like that.

If you convert to audio, you also have the option of doing so with some of the fx included, which means you won't have to have any of those running in the session either, also saving on CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_TC_TC View Post
Also, when you use Midi instead of Wave or Audio, do you use the Effects Plugins on the Aux Track just as you normally would on an Audio Wave Track ???

I'm just curious because that's what I do & often wonder if I should do something different. I've always treated Midi Tracks just like I would Audio Tracks. Especially on Synth Tracks.

Thanks again for sharing your insights.
Yes, if I have a part playing on a VI on an instrument track I use the fx plugins on that just like I would on an audio track. Or, depending on the VI, you might have the option to route the audio of a part out to an AUX track. With some drum VI's for example (not Boom, though), you can send individual drum parts audio out to separate aux or audio tracks. So Kick on one track, snare another, etc. then you can process the part separately. I do that a lot with Reason via Rewire. If I'm using a drum kit from, say, Redrum, I can easily use Rewire to route the audio of each part of the kit to sep AUX tracks in PT and process as I wish. Or convert to audio and process...either way.

What I have found watching any number of tips and tricks videos from some of the pros, is that they almost always convert VI's to audio before doing fx and mix.