View Single Post
Old 10-29-2017, 09:44 PM

Default Re: If I use a crap HD to copy audio files, would it cause any problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
meaning, when using even a questionable HDD or SSD, as long as I have copied the files out without seeing any error messages from OS X, then I can trust that the files I copied is the same/good as original and I should not worry. Correct?
Yes and no. Normally you are fine. There are possible very rare cases say where you can have problems. Like the file system begin written to has some form of rare corruption (but not bad block type issues that will cause an error of it can't be auto corrected).

And a very likely cause of data being wrong inside a file is not corruption of the filesystem of file, its the application program writing garbage into a perfectly fine file. So back up and go check every step here by checksumming the files at each stage and confirm where they differ. (not what any application. including Pro Tools tells you is in the file, but actually use a checksum to see the actual files on disk differ or not).

Again this should not be a hypothetical question. If you are having issues, work to find out what is actually going on and stop asking people what they think.