View Single Post
Old 10-31-2013, 07:09 AM

Default Re: To Delete or Not to Delete...that is the question

Thanks, Chris. I do have complete back-ups of my C and D drives, so that's not the issue. Its just finding a good way to catalog old and store older files and such. Yes, I still have all the old installers on my back-up drive as well as in my Avid account, though I can't imagine why I'd need to ever re-install, say, PT 7.4 LE! But its there if ever I would.

What I may do is get a separate 2 or 3TB USB drive and back up ALL my old audio files, bounces, and other samples/downloads to that in some logically filed order for easier location later and then make a copy of that offsite on Dropbox or some such.

At least the digital data back ups only take up a small amount of physical space in my house...I mean USB drives are not very big. Its the physical stuff I never throw away that takes up all the room. I have Computer Music Magazines going back several years. Old Wired magazines, 2 containers full of old patch cords, adapters and such, and because my wife and I are both avid readers, we have...and this is no exaggeration...over 4,500 books in our house (that's where I stopped counting!). and that doesn't include the books she has in her office! She's a college professor, so you can imagine! My motto is, if we don't own it...you don't need to read it!

Anyway, I'm determined to end my pack-rat ways and be better organized...both with the physical stuff AND the digital stuff! So that's what prompted me to ask what is really necessary to keep around and what can be safely deleted forever!