View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 05:19 PM

Default Re: 11R SPDIF intermittent problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
In User Options make sure that "Digital Output" is set to "Rig Outputs"--at least for starters.

OK so you are just trying to use S/PDIF out the Eleven Rack to the S/PDIF in on your 18i120.
Yes, it's set to Rig Outputs, and it's a Saffire Pro 40 (not what the other guy is using, but they're probably similar other than USB vs FW)

Quote:
What does the "Digital Out" meter show in the Rig view on the Eleven Rack front display? Meter moving as you play guitar? Plug in headphones to the eleven Rack.. does what you hear on those track with the Digital Out meter movements?

If the meter is moving OK moving then I suspect the problem is your cable or your 18i20 or Pro Tools. So good to exclude Pro Tools by looking at S/PDIF input from Mix Control as you are trying.
The meter moves fine (about 1/4-1/3 of the way up) when metering Digital Out.

Quote:
If that does not help then swap the cables you have now, try wiggling them etc. try to buy new proper cables, try to find/borrow other S/PDIF devices to test with (S/PDIF headphone amps, CD/DVD/MP3 players etc.).
just ordered 2 SPDIF cables, Amazon says they'll be here tomorrow (Sunday delivery???)

Quote:
You must manually set the clock rate on the Eleven Rack and on your interface/DAW to match. Check this first. Then you should be clovkign the Elevn Rack internally and the 18i20 from the S/PIDIF in.
When I set the Pro40 to get clock from external SPDIF it loses sync. They are both set to 96kHz, I assumed that would be enough to let them both run internally clocked, but I will try with the 2 cables when I get them.

Quote:
Make sure Rig Input is set to guitar In. Don't assume, go check it. that is a leading cause of "Eleven Rack stopped working" problems.

The Eleven Rack will output on both S/PDIF and AES/EBU regardless of the Digital settings (that just affects which Digital Input is used).
RIG INPUT: Guitar

but yeah, I could see how that would be overlooked. Thing is, I'm not even plugging a guitar in to get those click pop noises over digital connection...

Quote:
Well that is why I asked... it is a sign of a possible clocking problem. Maybe sample rate mismatch problem.
Looks like that is the real issue here, because audio works fine, but I don't have anything else to test the SPDIF INPUT on my Pro40 so I can't be sure of which end is causing the problem (assuming the new cables don't consistently work). I assumed it was not this cable because, as I mentioned, it DOES work SOMETIMES. Which is odd - I am not accustomed to troubleshooting intermittent problems. I like my things to either work or not work! I don't like to be teased!