View Single Post
Old 03-14-2006, 01:33 PM

Default Re: How difficult will this be?

Quote:
I had an external firewire drive previous to this and it wouldn't boot from the drive. if i get a firewire enclosure will I be able to boot from this drive via firewire? The external drive only worked USB 2.0 and it totally sucked
Macs can boot from Firewire drives, but not USB drives. While it certainly works very reliably, I don't know that I'd trust that setup enough to always boot up off a firewire drive. What you might want to consider, is cloning the 20gb over to the 250gb, then reformatting the 20GB and clone the 250gb back over to it (thus keeping the 20gb as your system OS drive). You could then use the 250GB as your PT Session drive, and even partition it if you still needed room for other documents or applications and you don't want them to spill into your PT file area. As long as you don't let PT try and access both partitions at the same time it's OK to partition your drive, but you might want to set one of them as 'read only' in the PT workspace to make sure it doesn't try and write files on both partitions at once.

Quote:
If I decided to bite the bullet and go to a G5 would I be able to put the 250GB directly in that? Do the G5s take another kind of RAM or can I also use the RAM from my G4?
Unfortunately that's a big NO to both. G5's use SATA drives not IDE/ATA, although you could still use the 250gb in the firewire enclosure with the G5. The memory is totally different though, so you'd have to be prepared to purchase extra RAM if you go for a new machine.