View Single Post
Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Difference between 5.1 and 5.1 discrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr sound View Post
Greg,
I can not agree with you. When a client asks for 5.1 discrete they are asking for a digital copy of the original 5.1 sound Mix NOT an AC3, matrixed or anything such as that. The reason for asking for the discrete is for archiving or creation of other elements such as a AC3. You don't hand a client a compressed format when they ask for discrete.
Yes the Dolby Digital track is discrete tracks but it is a compressed format.
Unless specifically requested that is the way deliverables are specifically spelled out.
Hi Marti,

I think the difference is between the dictionary definition of the word "discrete" and the audio term "discrete" as employed by Dolby. As Lexaudio mentioned, Dolby themselves describe DD as six discrete channels. I have always taken discrete to basically mean "not matrixed" and therefore the term "discrete" does not by itself define the delivery format.

I agree with you though, I too have had clients ask for discrete 5.1 and I generally assume they are unaware of the audio terminology, are using the word discrete as per the dictionary definition and actually require 6 individual audio files. I would never deliver anything in a compressed format unless I was absolutely certain that's exactly what the client wanted. If the specs just asked for 5.1 discrete (without providing more information), I personally would make a call to clarify, just in case they want delivery on a DTRS! Although the implication these days is for 6 bwavs, they might want AIFFs or even a poly wav!

I'm not going to argue with someone of your experience and knowledge though Marti and I'm willing to accept that I've got my terminology wrong for all these years. I just need a tiny little bit more persuading

G