View Single Post
Old 09-03-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: What does Protools LE does 32 tracks really me

Hi again,

Mindnoise, I read that manual back and forth, and I think the way it is written does leave the subject somewhat unclear. But more importantly, just to be sure, I loooked over some sessions that I remembered presenting this problem, and right now I am looking at a PT LE session which on open spits out this message:

"There are more active audio tracks than available voices. As a result, one or more audio tracks will not play."

The session consists of:
7 stereo audio tracks,
5 mono audio tracks,
5 stereo aux tracks,
1 stereo master track,
7 MIDI tracks,
and 1 stereo and 2 mono aux tracks which are disabled.

TOTAL:
19 active audio voices
10 active aux voices
2 active master voices
7 active MIDI tracks
4 disabled aux voices

which really, is nowhere near the numbers cited in the manual...
I have encountered similar situation several times, and (believe me) re-read all the manual references to track count, searched the DUC and web. Mostly people complain about 32 voices being not enough, which I probably agree with. But I would be happy to just get all the tracks that are supposed to work...

So, does this mean that my setup is failing because of something else? Or all my tracks (including audio AND aux AND master) do in fact use up the 32 available voices?... Or is there some other explanation to this? My thinking was that yes, you can have the 32 audio tracks, and then a bunch of aux tracks so long as the aux tracks are not used to "voice" some additional instruments, or, like for example one of my aux tracks, are mixing in a SPDIF signal from outboard gear... I really do not know, and thought this would be good opportunity to get to the bottom of this.

For the record;
The above listed sesssion is in
PT LE 6.7
Digi 002 Rack
Mac OSX 10.3.9
G5 Dual 2GHz
2.5 GB RAM

Thank you for your comments, and hoping to find out a bit more about this subject from anyone.

p.