View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Windows 7(Something to think about?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
I'm not particularity taking the Microsoft side here but MS is not making the profit Apple is making by bundling the machine with the hardware in the first place. Subtract the price of a comparable Windows notebook and add that to OSX's retail price....Whats that version of OSX retail for now

MS's software business model is not supported by hardware sales and as good as OSX is Apple is primarily a hardware company. For the most part MS's software development is paid for up front and recovered later by software sales. Apples software delopement model is funded by hardware sales. I would be willing to bet that actual retail sales of boxed versions of OSX also amount to squat in the big picture of software revenue and contribute very little to the OS development cost. Two very different business models and two different pricing structures.

Just pointing out that OSX is great deal more expensive then it would look at first. Your also not going to take the 109.00 OS and install it (legally or easily) on anything other than Apple hardware.

If your building a new system yourself (or even just purchasing hardware) you are entitled to use the OEM versions of Windows and these run around 139.00 or so.

Having said that MS could drop their retail prices a bit and greatly simplify the pricing structure.
well said

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff