View Single Post
Old 02-14-2014, 06:20 AM

Default Re: Focusrite: Saffire Pro 40 Firewire, or Scarlett 18-20 usb2 on Mac?

Well I tried a 2i2 and had not too much success with it and PT HD9, unstable at best with my rig(Mac Pro 1,1 10.6.8) for whatever reason & troubleshooted it as best as I could so I was pretty skeptical about another Focusrite interface but other MOTU Firewire stuff has worked well with my rig so I still wanted to try Focusrite's offering…

anyway, really this Pro 40 thing is decent. Honeymoon period obviously but it sounds good & at a 32 sample buffer I can arm/record 8 channels with a couple of plugs on them and let it rip for 5 minutes and it feels good and does not stutter. Headphone Outs sound good, clear. Inputs 1 & 2 sound really nice with my acoustic plugged straight in which is what it is I understand, but I've done a bunch with my acoustic guitar rig direct and I think I'll be as happy using these two channels like that if it's a situation where I can't mic it up. I'm not going to be using the Mix Software, faders are down on that.

I'm coming from a Lynx Aurora & I know those are higher up the food chain & really a different animal since it's just AD/DA & it's not here to A/B but ya know when you stop A/Bing stuff you just get on with things and use what you have & I think this is pretty nice so far. Since the advent of PT9 and 3rd Party Hardware & after losing the PCIe cards, I just want something that is stable & sounds good. So far so good.