View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 09:43 PM

Default Re: MacBook Pro requirements for PT12

All the Macs being discussed will work with just about any HDD or SSD you can connect to them... USB 2, USB 3/3.1, Firewire 400 (via adapter), Firewire 800 (via adapter), SATA (via an adapter), Thunderbolt, PCIe/NVMe (via an adapter), etc. But old drives are likely so slow with a new fast shiny computer you probably want a SSD for anything but archives/backups.

Uh the 2017 MacBook Pro does have USB. The 15" models have 4 x USB Type C ports that provide USB 3.1 Gen 2. The 2015 15" MacBook Pro has USB 3.0 aka USB 3.1 Gen 1 in USB Type A ports.

Those USB Type C ports also carry Thunderbolt 3 and video and power. Apple's USB Type-C to Type-A adapter cable is $19. Or get a Thunderbolt Dock like the OWC Thunderbolt 3 dock (which gives USB 3.0 only not USB 3.1 Gen 2). https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/dock...derbolt-3-dock

I would go for the 2017 MBP (I have the previous model, very similar) because of their USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 support. As well as very fast up to 2TB internal PCIe/NVMe SSD.... if you can survive the sticker shock on that SSD... but it's stunningly fast. My main complain of the newer MBP is 16GB DRAM is a bit low for the high price, and the touchbar is more PITA than useful.