View Single Post
Old 12-15-2004, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Not one but many

Sorri im confused..You said you havnt seen BWF but its in the options when creating a session, its mostly used for Archiving!Also when bouncing a file to disk, it is its relative position on the grid that is the Timestamp(but thats only for moving the file from one programme to another)

Heres as much info as i know!!!

[/QUOTE] A BWF file is really just a small customisation of a WAV file. WAVs (and =BWFs) are examples of "RIFF" files which allow for a number of data ="chunks" inside the file alongside the regular "audio" sample data.
A BWF (generally ) has a .WAV extension, and WAV players should ignore =any custom data chunks and play it as if it were a normal WAV.
The "metadata" chunk inside a BWF is called the "bext" chunk. So a BWF is a WAV file that's got the extra bext chunk (and no other difference)
There can another plain text field called "originator reference", but in =recent years most BWF implementers have reserved this field to be used =for a "Unique ID" - a random number that's used to distinguish one file =from another. The UID scheme is a EBU recommendation that came along a =littlie while after the BWF spec was drawn up, so there are some =implementations that allow it to be used for free text.You might want to consider =the use of this in any archiving scheme as some applications in the =future will use it as a unique ID, and if you put other data in there, =it may confuse a reading application (i.e. if two distinct files have =the same metadata in this field, a BWF may confuse them). [QUOTE]

There's a Swedish Broadcast site http://www.sr.se/utveckling/tu/bwf/ =which has some links to the spec. Also an invaluable and free BWF reader =called CHUNK.EXE which allows you to look at the bext data.(Im looking for a Mac version of a CHUNK viewer so i can view the BEXT outside of Protools)

Im sorry but i have to reiterate my question - In 'Get Info...' under the File menu, is this where my BEXT TXT can go!?!

Thanks for any help:)