View Single Post
  #4  
Old 02-25-2004, 09:16 AM
cwhite771 cwhite771 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 708
Default Re: Dual G4 or G5 - I\'m Dying over here...

If you're thinking G5, I'd definitely wait for the 2nd, if not 3rd rev. IMHO, I don't think the current G5's are all that impressive performance-wise compared to the hype. Also, future versions will be more solid as they'll have worked out the oddities (you'd hope at least).

The second rev are supposedly due out soon (matter of weeks maybe). The 970fx chips which they will be using will top out around 3GHz. The 980 chips (which may end up under the G6 moniker) will run up to 5GHz or faster. THose are supposedlydue by the end of the year or the beginning of next. If you wait for either of these revisions, one thing is for sure-- you'll be able to get the current crop for much cheaper.

So, my advice is wait if you can (at least a month or 2).
---
c
__________________
2013 MacPro 3.5GHz 6-core/16GB RAM/OS10.9.2 - PT10.3.8/PT11.1.2 - RME UFX - Apogee Rosetta 200 - and a bunch of other stuff.
Reply With Quote